This blog was originally designed to keep me sane as I began learning Arabic. It morphed into a blog of musings about Arabic, the Middle East, and the Islamic World, as well as book reviews about those topics. Then, the blog became a place to keep my family and friends updated on my adventures while I was living abroad. During May and June of 2012, I had a 6-week long internship in Cairo, Egypt through a international student organization called AIESEC. I taught English at the Awladi Orphanage in Cairo, home to several hundred children. I lived in an apartment in Nasr City before moving to Maadi (each is a distinct area of Cairo). I experienced President Mursi's election, camped in the western desert, rode camels by the pyramids, and had countless other experiences. I have since moved past this blog, on towards new endeavors, but if you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment! Enjoy!

Friday, October 14, 2011

End of Semester


Alexandria, Egypt


Ahlan!
This is my first post in ages. I finished up my first official semester of Arabic class. I know that I wasn't the absolute best in the class, but I also know students who fared worse than I did. Unfortunately for me, most of my class had had an Arabic class before, and almost everyone either had parents who spoke Arabic or they had had experience reading the Koran.

I was so nervous for that final exam. I spent days studying, nervous to make a good impression on my professor. He is currently writing me a recommendation letters for several government scholarship programs I am applying to. I really, really want to study Arabic through the Critical Languages Scholarship Program, and I know that as a freshman, my chances are slim. A good recommendation letter from him is crucial! I'm also applying for a Boren scholarship and an FLAS scholarship. My goal is to study intensive Arabic this summer and then to go to Egypt in the spring of 2013 to study.

I really love the looks of Butler's study abroad program in Alexandria. I'd probably go there, or the Middlebury's program, for the spring. Then, for the summer, I'd like to go to the American University in Cairo to take more classes. This is, of course, all dependent on financing.

With all this time I've put into the scholarship essays lately, I should probably work on my Arabic a bit! However, I figure that it isn't always about being the best and the smartest. I have to be able to put myself out there and get attention/scholarships for what I want to do, otherwise it'll never happen.


No comments:

Post a Comment