This blog was originally designed to keep me sane as I began learning Arabic. It morphed into a blog of musings about Arabic, the Middle East, and the Islamic World, as well as book reviews about those topics. Then, the blog became a place to keep my family and friends updated on my adventures while I was living abroad. During May and June of 2012, I had a 6-week long internship in Cairo, Egypt through a international student organization called AIESEC. I taught English at the Awladi Orphanage in Cairo, home to several hundred children. I lived in an apartment in Nasr City before moving to Maadi (each is a distinct area of Cairo). I experienced President Mursi's election, camped in the western desert, rode camels by the pyramids, and had countless other experiences. I have since moved past this blog, on towards new endeavors, but if you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment! Enjoy!

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

AIESEC (part III)



Alright, so it has been a week since my interview, and I have yet to hear back about the internship with the Desert Development Center.
(This place: http://www.aucegypt.edu/research/ddc/Pages/ddchome.aspx)

Sooo I'm thinking about pulling the plug on that internship. It does fit right in with my interests in sustainability, but it isn't the most ideal set-up. I just wish that this guy was more reliable with his e-mail replies. The Awlady guy is always so prompt!


To be honest, as much as I would like to go chill at the American University in Cairo for 6 weeks, I don't feel like it would be a genuinely Egyptian experience. Everyone at AUC is fluent in English, and they are upper middle class Egyptians. The new campus is like a 30 minute drive from downtown Cairo, so it wouldn't be quite so convenient, plus it wouldn't give me the cultural experience I want. However, the campus is beyond gorgeousness! I am going to make a point to visit there while I'm staying in Cairo.

No comments:

Post a Comment