This blog was originally designed to keep me sane as I began learning Arabic. It morphed into a blog of musings about Arabic, the Middle East, and the Islamic World, as well as book reviews about those topics. Then, the blog became a place to keep my family and friends updated on my adventures while I was living abroad. During May and June of 2012, I had a 6-week long internship in Cairo, Egypt through a international student organization called AIESEC. I taught English at the Awladi Orphanage in Cairo, home to several hundred children. I lived in an apartment in Nasr City before moving to Maadi (each is a distinct area of Cairo). I experienced President Mursi's election, camped in the western desert, rode camels by the pyramids, and had countless other experiences. I have since moved past this blog, on towards new endeavors, but if you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment! Enjoy!

Monday, April 23, 2012

AIESEC (part VI)

Oh, the drama continues..


So I got a message back yesterday from the guy in charge of the Awlady thing. He told me a couple of days ago that things are "perfect! no problem." Yesterday, he told me that there are things missing from my acceptance note: my signature and the dates that I will be working.

Which... is true. Those things were not on there. However, (a) I did not fill that sheet out, my manager did and (b) how was I supposed to know?

He acted irritated about it and said, "your manager should have told you to take care of this."

So I'm like.. okay. I scanned in the updated, signed document and sent it out late last night.
I really hope to hear back from him today.

I need to buy plane tickets! Like, tomorrow!

The other wrench thrown into this situation was that he told me "the dates we agreed on will work." Well, we didn't agree on any! I told him that I'd ideally like to work for Awlady sometime between May 15th and June 29th. This is more than 6 weeks though... so when I sent him back my note, I wrote that I will be there from May 16th to June 27th (exactly 6 weeks).

My plan now is to leave on the 14th of May, get to Cairo on the 15th, and start work the 16th.
Then, I'll end work the 27th of June and be home by the 28th.
(I'll lose a day going there and gain a day coming back)


No comments:

Post a Comment