This blog was originally designed to keep me sane as I began learning Arabic. It morphed into a blog of musings about Arabic, the Middle East, and the Islamic World, as well as book reviews about those topics. Then, the blog became a place to keep my family and friends updated on my adventures while I was living abroad. During May and June of 2012, I had a 6-week long internship in Cairo, Egypt through a international student organization called AIESEC. I taught English at the Awladi Orphanage in Cairo, home to several hundred children. I lived in an apartment in Nasr City before moving to Maadi (each is a distinct area of Cairo). I experienced President Mursi's election, camped in the western desert, rode camels by the pyramids, and had countless other experiences. I have since moved past this blog, on towards new endeavors, but if you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment! Enjoy!

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

AIESEC (part I)


Wow! The semester has flown by.


I am now a month into my AIESEC internship search!

I will be working in Cairo, Egypt for six weeks this summer!


Here's a little background on that:
I decided that I would like to go to either Egypt or Jordan. The reasons begin: none of the Gulf countries have good development NGOs to work for (they are usually more technologically focused) and their internships require larger time commitments. Once I began looking closer at my options in Egypt and Jordan, I realized that Jordan probably didn't have what I was looking for.

So, Egypt it is! The two major cities they recruit for in Egypt are Alexandria and Cairo. The idea of living in Alexandria seemed more appealing to me initially; it doesn't have quite the hustle and bustle of Cairo. However, less so than Jordan, AIESEC Alexandria didn't quite have the internships that I was looking for.

So, Cairo it is! My mom was a little concerned about me going to Cairo, especially in light of the revolution that took place (something that, let's be honest, will be really exciting to be exposed to! It's just an extra perk that I will be able to meet these revolutionary people and see them build up their country). However, I talked to her about safety and how AIESEC is really great about supporting their interns. I talked to one girl who said that she was in Egypt during the revolution and a director of AIESEC took her and other interns to stay in her house for a few days, until they were sure that things were secure. Obviously, many students are studying abroad in and around Cairo now. Everything seems perfect!

2 comments:

  1. OK, first up, I am OBSESSED with the picture at the top of this post. It is GORGEOUS!
    Second, I am happy for you! This sounds like a really amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! One of the best parts of putting this blog together was finding all the awesome pictures!

      Delete