This blog was originally designed to keep me sane as I began learning Arabic. It morphed into a blog of musings about Arabic, the Middle East, and the Islamic World, as well as book reviews about those topics. Then, the blog became a place to keep my family and friends updated on my adventures while I was living abroad. During May and June of 2012, I had a 6-week long internship in Cairo, Egypt through a international student organization called AIESEC. I taught English at the Awladi Orphanage in Cairo, home to several hundred children. I lived in an apartment in Nasr City before moving to Maadi (each is a distinct area of Cairo). I experienced President Mursi's election, camped in the western desert, rode camels by the pyramids, and had countless other experiences. I have since moved past this blog, on towards new endeavors, but if you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment! Enjoy!

Friday, April 13, 2012

Egyptian Arabic Phrase Book

Lonely Planet's Egyptian Arabic Phrasebook
I've stopped reviewing books since the beginning of my AIESEC planning, but I just bought this little pocket-size travel phrasebook and it's awesome! I own two other Arabic dictionaries, but this is much more ideal for traveling with. I bought it on a whim at the bookstore, but it seems as though this is more perfect than I could have hoped for!

a) passport sized, perfect for slipping into a travel bag
b) quick reference keys on the inside covers, perfect for those moments when you've blanked on a simple phrase like "thank you."
c) easy to read and understand

I have thumbed through it several times, and I must completely agree with one of its Amazon reviewers: "I love this book!!! When in Egypt this June, I used it to my heart's content. Thanks to this book, I have learned very much in speaking the Arabic language. Being a student of Arabic, I found this small phrasebook even more efficient in teaching me than my textbook from school! It is simply awesome. Although the grammar could have been talked about more, I found this book a life-saver in many situations while being in North Africa. This book will teach you pronunciation, the Arabic alphabet, numbers, and thousands of useful phrases whilst in Egypt. The best Arabic-learning tool out there!"
I can honestly say, I like this better than any of my textbooks! Plus, it's so cheap! Only $6.99.

It will definitely be accompanying me in all of my travels around Egypt.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I have one too and I use it all the time! It is amazing how much information is covered in such a tiny book. If you are interested in Egyptian Arabic, I would also recommend Kalaam Gamiil and Kallimni Arabi Bishweesh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is incredible how much is in such a small package! Thank you for your recommendations! I will definitely check them out. :)

      Delete