This blog was originally designed to keep me sane as I began learning Arabic. It morphed into a blog of musings about Arabic, the Middle East, and the Islamic World, as well as book reviews about those topics. Then, the blog became a place to keep my family and friends updated on my adventures while I was living abroad. During May and June of 2012, I had a 6-week long internship in Cairo, Egypt through a international student organization called AIESEC. I taught English at the Awladi Orphanage in Cairo, home to several hundred children. I lived in an apartment in Nasr City before moving to Maadi (each is a distinct area of Cairo). I experienced President Mursi's election, camped in the western desert, rode camels by the pyramids, and had countless other experiences. I have since moved past this blog, on towards new endeavors, but if you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment! Enjoy!

Sunday, May 6, 2012

AIESEC VIII



Just another note on the AIESEC process..
It is all very, very dependent on which people you have as a managers/connection between you and the internship itself. This is SUCH a people-driven organization, something that can be really great when your people are on top of things.
However, if they are not on top it it, your experience will suffer for it.
I got really lucky with the combination of managers. They aren't perfect, but things seem to be running smoothly (especially considering that I leave for Cairo on Monday! Eeek!).

My contact in Cairo had not responded for a couple of days, and I found out that he was at a conference where he did not have internet. It would have been nice for him to have alerted me to this fact before he left. *sigh*

I am really, really hoping that that is where my friend's internship manager was for the past days too, because she has not heard back from him. She is still trying to get them to send her her acceptance note!! This means she has no idea if she is going or not, and she's supposed to be leaving the same day as me! She's yet to be able to buy her ticket. It's a bit of a nightmare. Extremely stressful, especially considering that we leave in less than a week, and we have finals all this week.

I hope that everything works out :(
It would be really awesome for her to be able to go too!

My biggest tip for anyone doing AIESEC: push the process along as much as you can. Keep your options open, but set a deadline for when you must have the decision made, tickets bought, etc. If I were doing this so last minute, I would be going insane!

No comments:

Post a Comment