This blog was originally designed to keep me sane as I began learning Arabic. It morphed into a blog of musings about Arabic, the Middle East, and the Islamic World, as well as book reviews about those topics. Then, the blog became a place to keep my family and friends updated on my adventures while I was living abroad. During May and June of 2012, I had a 6-week long internship in Cairo, Egypt through a international student organization called AIESEC. I taught English at the Awladi Orphanage in Cairo, home to several hundred children. I lived in an apartment in Nasr City before moving to Maadi (each is a distinct area of Cairo). I experienced President Mursi's election, camped in the western desert, rode camels by the pyramids, and had countless other experiences. I have since moved past this blog, on towards new endeavors, but if you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment! Enjoy!

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Day 10


It’s a balmy 109 degrees Fahrenheit (43 degrees Celsius) here in Aswan, Egypt. We had a 12 hour overnight train ride from Cairo to Aswan, arriving about an hour ago. We had first class tickets, so it was comfortable, and we all slept the majority of the way (it was definitely the best night of sleep that I’ve had since arriving here, and Annelinde said it was her best night of sleep since she arrived a month and a half ago).

The hotel we have here in Aswan for tonight is really quite nice (we weren’t sure what to expect, but have all been pleasantly surprised). Right now, Sherin is showering, and we’re waiting for instructions to come down the line about where we’re going next.

Sherin and I have been trying to figure out why a civilization as advanced as the Egyptian one would have decided to stay in Egypt. Of all the places in the world, why live in this heat?!

Tomorrow, we’re traveling down to near the Sudanese border and seeing Abu Simbel, which will be really nice!
 Then, we get back on the train and go up to Luxor (which we passed through on our way south). We’ll spend two days there, seeing as much of the area as possible.
We’ll be back in Cairo on Sunday!

3 comments:

  1. 109 degrees Fahrenheit??? Back home I thought it was super hot reaching low 90's...clearly you are dealing with much worse heat. It's nice that you had a good night's sleep though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 109 is balmy?? whats average?? hope your sunscreen spf is greater than 30! also, sorry for commnet-bombing all your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah I was saying "balmy" sarcastically! 109 is pretty normal for the summer though, the rest of the week was like 117, 119ish. My SPF is doing super well! I have Aveeno 55 for my body and 30 for my face. I've been putting it on every morning since I got here :)

      Delete