This blog was originally designed to keep me sane as I began learning Arabic. It morphed into a blog of musings about Arabic, the Middle East, and the Islamic World, as well as book reviews about those topics. Then, the blog became a place to keep my family and friends updated on my adventures while I was living abroad. During May and June of 2012, I had a 6-week long internship in Cairo, Egypt through a international student organization called AIESEC. I taught English at the Awladi Orphanage in Cairo, home to several hundred children. I lived in an apartment in Nasr City before moving to Maadi (each is a distinct area of Cairo). I experienced President Mursi's election, camped in the western desert, rode camels by the pyramids, and had countless other experiences. I have since moved past this blog, on towards new endeavors, but if you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment! Enjoy!

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Day 12



We visited the West Bank of Luxor today! Valley of the Kings, Valley of the Queens, Colossi of Memnon, and the Temple of Hatshepsut. We ended the day by getting a delicious dinner a restaurant overlooking the Luxor Temple (a place we’ll tour tomorrow). It was a long, long, very hot day, but we saw a lot. We went into three tombs in each of the valleys, and I was struck by the difference in artistry between them. You can tell stylistic differences. It was also cool to see old Coptic Christian writing on the walls in some of the tombs from where the Christians came along, thousands of years after the Egyptians, and hid from the Romans there.

This area of Egypt is nearly empty. Their busy season is NOT the summer, because of the heat, so we basically get to see all of the sites by ourselves. This is nice, but we definitely understand why no one else is here! It is so so hot! We drink 3 liters of water or so a day, but hardly ever pee or sweat. This is because the sweat evaporates as fast as your body makes it. It’s really bizarre, but kind of nice. “Dry” heat makes a difference.

P.S. Sherin wants to note that she "won" an "awesome" macaroni-style necklace at one of the stores we stopped at today. I'm convinced that the guy made up the contest so that he could win her something. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the excursion is going well. We enjoyed the moist heat at the beach today with a nice gentle breeze and the water is absolutely perfect. Wish you were here with us! Take care of yourself - drink lots of water!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I decided to comment on all of your posts, because I mean, why not?? :) Anyway, from this post, I gather that I would most likely not last in Egypt for more than a day due to the extreme heat. However, I would like to experience this "dry heat" compared to the lovely humidity I experience every day here. I find it interesting that the sweat just evaporates!

    ReplyDelete