This blog was originally designed to keep me sane as I began learning Arabic. It morphed into a blog of musings about Arabic, the Middle East, and the Islamic World, as well as book reviews about those topics. Then, the blog became a place to keep my family and friends updated on my adventures while I was living abroad. During May and June of 2012, I had a 6-week long internship in Cairo, Egypt through a international student organization called AIESEC. I taught English at the Awladi Orphanage in Cairo, home to several hundred children. I lived in an apartment in Nasr City before moving to Maadi (each is a distinct area of Cairo). I experienced President Mursi's election, camped in the western desert, rode camels by the pyramids, and had countless other experiences. I have since moved past this blog, on towards new endeavors, but if you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment! Enjoy!

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Day 16/17


Yesterday was Thri’s last day in Egypt, so we went over to someone’s apartment for a going away party. It was really relaxed; I spent awhile talking to Victor, Annelinde, and Maria about politics. They are all very curious about American politics, and I am, of course, extremely interested in European politics. Victor is from France originally, but his family lives in England, and he goes to school in Canada, so he has a lot of insight on what is going on.
The worst thing about going out here is that when I get home, I reek of smoke. This country loves its cigarettes, which is something I will never understand. I hate smoking. My hair, scarf, purse, everything smells. That is something that I will not miss about Egypt!
However, regardless of the ever-present smoke, we had a great evening. I’ll really miss Thri a lot. She has a really warm, friendly personality. It’s weird to think that I’ll probably never see her again.
Work has been going well. The kids have settled down lately, and they were really really well behaved today. We used clay to mold “A” “B” “C” and “D” (some of the ambitious kids went ahead with “E” “F” and “G”). Sherin and I are now teaching with a new guy. His name is Dean and he’s from Hong Kong. His English is very good, and we really like him a lot. He’s funny in a quiet way, and he’s good with the kids. He lives near us, so it’s nice to be able to ride the metro home with him.
Sherin and I went over to Michelle, Shubhi, and Aarane’s apartment today after work to sit and talk for a bit. We’re planning to go to the White and Black Desert for a couple of days this weekend. It should be really nice! It isn’t very expensive, and we’ll spend a night camping out in the desert under the stars. 

1 comment:

  1. Camping in the desert sounds fun! At least there will be fresh air out there.

    ReplyDelete