This blog was originally designed to keep me sane as I began learning Arabic. It morphed into a blog of musings about Arabic, the Middle East, and the Islamic World, as well as book reviews about those topics. Then, the blog became a place to keep my family and friends updated on my adventures while I was living abroad. During May and June of 2012, I had a 6-week long internship in Cairo, Egypt through a international student organization called AIESEC. I taught English at the Awladi Orphanage in Cairo, home to several hundred children. I lived in an apartment in Nasr City before moving to Maadi (each is a distinct area of Cairo). I experienced President Mursi's election, camped in the western desert, rode camels by the pyramids, and had countless other experiences. I have since moved past this blog, on towards new endeavors, but if you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment! Enjoy!

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Day 2



A good night’s sleep and shower has made me much happier. Picked up Sherin last night, so we’re at the apartment for the day.

It’s definitely a quirky place to live, but I think it’ll grow on us. It has the look of once having been a very expensive, grand apartment that, with years of inconsiderate occupants, has turned into a messy, shabby shadow of its former self. Living with four other girls in an apartment is definitely a test run for future apartment living at school. It’s a bit of a squeeze in the bedrooms with closet space and such, but there is plenty of living room area to make up for it.

Our roommates are a girl from Italy, one from Holland, and one from Malaysia. Holland and Malaysia are leaving within the next two weeks to go home, so we may be getting new roommates to replace them after that. Italy has been living here for 6 weeks already, and she plans to stay up to a year or so, as long as she can keep the internship.

The internet connection is really sketchy, so I am not really sure when I can get back on. I am hoping that I can get credits on the modem so that it will be reliable (their system for internet is so odd here!).


4 comments:

  1. Hi, We are reading your blogs and it is nice to keep up with what you are doing and what you are going through. I can see you are having an adventure and this is something you will remember all your life. I am going to go home next week but I am going to continue to see what adventures you are going through there.
    Dave and Grandma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely am! I really am loving Egypt a lot, and meeting so many people.
      Love you!

      Delete
  2. what was that about credits?? how does the internet work??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really kind of weird! I have a USB here that is worth 2 GB of internet usage. I paid 99 pounds for it (about 18 dollars), and I've been using it for over a week. Hopefully it lasts awhile! It gives me internet anywhere I want it.

      Delete