This blog was originally designed to keep me sane as I began learning Arabic. It morphed into a blog of musings about Arabic, the Middle East, and the Islamic World, as well as book reviews about those topics. Then, the blog became a place to keep my family and friends updated on my adventures while I was living abroad. During May and June of 2012, I had a 6-week long internship in Cairo, Egypt through a international student organization called AIESEC. I taught English at the Awladi Orphanage in Cairo, home to several hundred children. I lived in an apartment in Nasr City before moving to Maadi (each is a distinct area of Cairo). I experienced President Mursi's election, camped in the western desert, rode camels by the pyramids, and had countless other experiences. I have since moved past this blog, on towards new endeavors, but if you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment! Enjoy!

Thursday, May 17, 2012

DAY 3 (evening)


We went out on a felucca on the Nile tonight! There were about 25 of us! So so fun! Everyone stays out so late here! We met a ton of people, including a bunch that will be working with us at Awladi. The new people included people from Russia, France, Canada, India, China, Singapore, and Azerbaijan. It is fascinating to talk to them! Such interesting conversation. It felt very cosmopolitan, like I was sitting in an expatriate community and learning all about the other cultures. I met a Greek guy and had a conversation about the elections. He says that it’s really about picking the lesser of the evils, because there is no one who really represents how the people feel. There was a political science major from France who is studying at McGill. He and I talked to Mustafa about the Egyptian elections. He supports a candidate that is not a conservative Islamist.

After the felucca ride, we went and got shwarma again! Elawei brought us home and we stopped for a bit to look at one of the neighborhood cats with all her kittens. The Egyptian cats are so much sleeker than American ones! They move stealthily and lightly. Elley had one in her apartment, and it was so slinky. Very Egyptian. I like them!

2 comments: