This blog was originally designed to keep me sane as I began learning Arabic. It morphed into a blog of musings about Arabic, the Middle East, and the Islamic World, as well as book reviews about those topics. Then, the blog became a place to keep my family and friends updated on my adventures while I was living abroad. During May and June of 2012, I had a 6-week long internship in Cairo, Egypt through a international student organization called AIESEC. I taught English at the Awladi Orphanage in Cairo, home to several hundred children. I lived in an apartment in Nasr City before moving to Maadi (each is a distinct area of Cairo). I experienced President Mursi's election, camped in the western desert, rode camels by the pyramids, and had countless other experiences. I have since moved past this blog, on towards new endeavors, but if you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment! Enjoy!

Friday, May 18, 2012

Day 4


Today, my roommates and I went to the Khan al-Khalili! We saw the Al-Azhar mosque. It was beautiful! We woke up too late to go to Giza, unfortunately.

Ana bought a little bag for 5 pounds. We turned the corner and I saw another man selling them for 10. I told him, “We got this bag from another man for 3 pounds. Can I buy yours for 3?” He gave in, and I bought 3 for 9 instead of 1 for 10! Woo, Meme would be proud!
We got less attention in the market today, because we were in a place that was more used to tourists. However, one man told me, “I will get rid of my wife!” He then offered 5000 camels for me! We asked one of the guys later how much a camel was worth today. My guess was a couple hundred dollars, but apparently the nice ones can cost up to $10,000 each! (Max, don’t get any ideas).

Other things from today:
  • There are very, very few tourists here. I haven’t seen any stereotypical tourists since I got here! It’s so odd, but I really like how authentic it feels.
  • When Analinda introduces herself, people thing she is saying “Ana Linda” which means “I am Linda” in Arabic. It is super, super comical. She has given up on getting people to understand that her name is actually Analinda. Also, spoke Dutch to us today. The language sounds like English and German had a language baby.
  • It was interesting to hear one of the guys talk about how their opinion of Obama has changed. He spoke at AUC before he became president, and everyone loved him. They thought he would be then answer to all the problems in the Middle East. They feel that he has not lived up to his foreign policy promises.
  • One of the guys commented today that “People drive so bad here that it’s like they gave licenses to donkeys.”

2 comments:

  1. Watch out for those horny old men! I don't know what your family would do with a camel trade. :) Yes, I love the photo too! You look so happy.

    ReplyDelete