This blog was originally designed to keep me sane as I began learning Arabic. It morphed into a blog of musings about Arabic, the Middle East, and the Islamic World, as well as book reviews about those topics. Then, the blog became a place to keep my family and friends updated on my adventures while I was living abroad. During May and June of 2012, I had a 6-week long internship in Cairo, Egypt through a international student organization called AIESEC. I taught English at the Awladi Orphanage in Cairo, home to several hundred children. I lived in an apartment in Nasr City before moving to Maadi (each is a distinct area of Cairo). I experienced President Mursi's election, camped in the western desert, rode camels by the pyramids, and had countless other experiences. I have since moved past this blog, on towards new endeavors, but if you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment! Enjoy!

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Day 5



We were very productive today! We woke up very early and went to the Citadel.  It includes several beautiful mosques as well as fantastic views of the city! I was very impressed! However, it also includes a museum that is legitimately the worst I’ve ever seen. They seemed to just have crammed things into the building, just to have something to show off. The labels are like “Ancient sword” or just “Old” , and it had misspellings like “major jeneral” and “ballista arrows thriwer.” It was absolutely ridiculous. The editor inside of me was crying a bit!

Then went to Garbage City. It is the place where Cairo’s trash and recycling goes, and people live there. They take care of the trash and make money off of the recycled goods.  Their living situation is so dirty. It’s as near to slum conditions as I have ever been. However, it was fascinating. Most of them are Christians, so it was the only neighborhood in Cairo where I have seen a lot of crosses and Christian symbols.

We then proceeded to an Orthodox Christian Church that is carved into the mountain base. It is outdoors and impressive. While we were there, a funeral procession showed up and a hundred or more wailing women in black came down the hill with the hearse. It was at once terrifying and moving.

After this, we went to the Al-Azhar park in Cairo. Beautiful place! It’s so lush and green. We ate there by the lake and talked for hours. I had my palm read by one of the Indian girls today, and it was quite… interesting.  Apparently, I will have up to 8 children! That made me laugh. The mixture of people in AIESEC really has introduced me to a lot of types of people!

Then we went to McDonald’s to get ice cream! Here, all fast food restaurants have delivery options! They have little scooters that go around and deliver. If it isn’t within a half hour, the food is free.

2 comments:

  1. I read up on Garbage City...very interesting. Especially about the Christians living there. Is that Sherin in the photo with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a unique place! Yeah, that's Sherin!

      Delete