This blog was originally designed to keep me sane as I began learning Arabic. It morphed into a blog of musings about Arabic, the Middle East, and the Islamic World, as well as book reviews about those topics. Then, the blog became a place to keep my family and friends updated on my adventures while I was living abroad. During May and June of 2012, I had a 6-week long internship in Cairo, Egypt through a international student organization called AIESEC. I taught English at the Awladi Orphanage in Cairo, home to several hundred children. I lived in an apartment in Nasr City before moving to Maadi (each is a distinct area of Cairo). I experienced President Mursi's election, camped in the western desert, rode camels by the pyramids, and had countless other experiences. I have since moved past this blog, on towards new endeavors, but if you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment! Enjoy!

Friday, March 16, 2012

How to remember feminine versus masculine conjugations.

Just took my oral exam in Arabic yesterday!
That's always the hardest part of the semester.. memorizing paragraphs and getting graded on conjugation and pronunciation is bad enough, but then he decides to ask us questions. So I had to have a conversation with him in Arabic, trying to think as quickly as possible. 
I did alright, as well as I could have hoped for, at least! 
Unfortunately, for awhile, I had a habit of mixing up the feminine and masculine forms of verbs. One starts with a ي and the other with a ت. I mixed them up until I realized that the feminine has dots on top (like a woman) and the masculine has dots hanging below (like a man). It's a bit crude, but you won't ever forget which way they go!



3 comments:

  1. bahahaha, i am NEVER going to forget this now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahahah I'm so glad you saw this! So awesome, right? I don't even know how it popped in my head, but I'll never mix them up again.

      Delete
  2. Hey just wondering if you would be able to translate the phrase "God will give me justice" into arabic for me?

    ReplyDelete