This blog was originally designed to keep me sane as I began learning Arabic. It morphed into a blog of musings about Arabic, the Middle East, and the Islamic World, as well as book reviews about those topics. Then, the blog became a place to keep my family and friends updated on my adventures while I was living abroad. During May and June of 2012, I had a 6-week long internship in Cairo, Egypt through a international student organization called AIESEC. I taught English at the Awladi Orphanage in Cairo, home to several hundred children. I lived in an apartment in Nasr City before moving to Maadi (each is a distinct area of Cairo). I experienced President Mursi's election, camped in the western desert, rode camels by the pyramids, and had countless other experiences. I have since moved past this blog, on towards new endeavors, but if you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment! Enjoy!

Monday, June 4, 2012

Day 20


Our new roommates are really nice, and our new apartment is even nicer! We are living with five other girls, but the place is so huge that we hardly notice. I could live for three years here, much less three more weeks! We love living in Maadi, although it feels like a totally different city. There are people out jogging and signs for Gold’s Gym! It’s so odd to see in Egypt. We live literally ten minutes away from work, and super close to our friends here in Maadi.
Our landlord is the nicest man ever. Sherin and I were washing clothes in the tub yesterday, and we left them to soak overnight. When we came home late last night, we saw that the landlord had brought us a new, big drying rack and clothespins. He also had brought new sheets for the beds, silverware, pots, pans, and dishes. We talked to him a bit yesterday, and he told us about how he works as a professor during the morning, going to work in the business suit. Then, in the afternoon, he works with the underprivileged people outside of Cairo, so he changes into a traditional Egyptian outfit. He and his family live right across the hall from us, so he comes in to fix things if we need him. We’re really happy here, even if it doesn’t feel so much like Cairo!

No comments:

Post a Comment