This blog was originally designed to keep me sane as I began learning Arabic. It morphed into a blog of musings about Arabic, the Middle East, and the Islamic World, as well as book reviews about those topics. Then, the blog became a place to keep my family and friends updated on my adventures while I was living abroad. During May and June of 2012, I had a 6-week long internship in Cairo, Egypt through a international student organization called AIESEC. I taught English at the Awladi Orphanage in Cairo, home to several hundred children. I lived in an apartment in Nasr City before moving to Maadi (each is a distinct area of Cairo). I experienced President Mursi's election, camped in the western desert, rode camels by the pyramids, and had countless other experiences. I have since moved past this blog, on towards new endeavors, but if you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment! Enjoy!

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Day 21


Last night was among my favorites since arriving in Cairo. Sherin and I had Paul, Shubhi, Victor, and the new Greek girl over to cook dinner at our new place. We all went to the grocery store to decide what to cook. We settled on Shubhi’s idea: an onion and green pepper cream sauce over potatoes. We bought cheese, milk, onions, and green pepper to make the sauce. I decided to add some rice to make it a larger meal, and we were set! We got mangos and melons for desert, along with chocolate ice cream.
We had so much fun cooking together in the kitchen! Our roommate, Ana, joined us, and we all worked together: Sherin and Paul ran back to the market for salt, Shubhi made the cream sauce, Victor chopped onions, and I boiled potatoes. It was funny to see all of the cultural differences we had with the cooking. Paul didn’t understand why we would leave the skin on the potatoes, and we all had different ideas about how long they should cook (some people liked them softer than others).
We sat down to dinner, and it was fabulous. Everything tasted really good, and we all agreed that cooking together made for a good evening. I really like the group of friends we have here in Maadi; everyone is up for a good conversation over dinner, and our inside jokes begin to remind me of my friends from home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment