This blog was originally designed to keep me sane as I began learning Arabic. It morphed into a blog of musings about Arabic, the Middle East, and the Islamic World, as well as book reviews about those topics. Then, the blog became a place to keep my family and friends updated on my adventures while I was living abroad. During May and June of 2012, I had a 6-week long internship in Cairo, Egypt through a international student organization called AIESEC. I taught English at the Awladi Orphanage in Cairo, home to several hundred children. I lived in an apartment in Nasr City before moving to Maadi (each is a distinct area of Cairo). I experienced President Mursi's election, camped in the western desert, rode camels by the pyramids, and had countless other experiences. I have since moved past this blog, on towards new endeavors, but if you have any questions, feel free to leave a comment! Enjoy!

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Day 23


We’ve had a good couple of days at work! Sherin brought some magic-grow animal capsules (the ones you put in water and they expand), so we used those to teach colors and animals today. The kids loved them! One of the teachers has been really great to work with, helping us with the kids and giving us tips. We really love her; she reminds me a bit of Mrs. Mercer. Unfortunately, the teacher in the other class does not help at all. Today, she left just as we walked in, leaving us with a class of screaming kids. She walked out of the school and didn’t return for twenty minutes. The lack of respect was just upsetting. Thankfully, the teacher we like helped us calm everything down. There are a few kids in each of our classes that are really just so much brighter than the others. It would be nice if they could have special tutoring or something, because they have so much potential, and they really want to learn.
For the weekend… Thursday here is basically Friday, because Egyptians have Friday and Saturday off. We also requested Sunday and Monday off work, because we’re going to the beach!
We’re taking an overnight bus to Dahab tonight, and I’ll wake up tomorrow for my 19th birthday on the beautiful beach! About 20 of us will be staying in a hostel there and spending the day outside. Snorkeling there is supposed to be amazing, so I’m really excited for that. We’ll be hiking Mount Sinai and seeing Saint Catherine’s Monastery too. It’ll be nice to have a relaxing weekend, away from Cairo and the really touristy sites that we’ve visited so far. It should be a good birthday weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome 19th birthday! Have a great weekend! Happy Birthday!!

    Love,
    Dad, Mom, Jessica and Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 19th Birthday, Ashley
    Have fun on your birthday but be safe.

    Love,
    Meme

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY ASHLEY!!! Hope you had a wonderful day at the beach! Miss you & wish I could tell you HAPPY 19th BIRTHDAY in person!

    ReplyDelete